Looking For Something in this Blog? Search here

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pediatric Notes I

The term “Growth” and “Development” are occasionally used interchangeably but are different.
GROWTH is generally used to denote an increase in physical size or quantitative change.
DEVELOPMENT is used to denote an increase in skills or ability to function.
COGNITIVE DEV’T is the ability to learn or understand from experience, to retain knowledge and to solve problems (Intelligence).


Factors affecting Growth and Development

1. Genetic Influences                          6. Environment
2. Gender                                            7. Nutrition
3. Race and Nationality                      8. Socio-Economic Level
4. Intelligence                                     9. Parent-Child Relationship
5. Health                                             10. Ordinal Position (Family)


Developmental Screening for Newborn – done by Pediatrician

1.Denver II Developmental Screening Test
            - divide streams of Development into gross motor, Fine motor, language and personal-social.

2. Clinical Adaptive Test
            - rates problem solving and visual motor ability.



Criteria for Suitability of Toys

1. Is it safe?   2. Is it Useful?   3. Is it compatible?



Infancy

Solitary
-          stack toys, blocks, pots
-           drums to bang
-           push and pull toys

Toddler

Parallel
      -     rocking horse, swing
-           finger paints, puzzle

Pre-school

Associative
-          Trucks, dollhouse
-           Doctor and nurse kits
-          Sandbox, outdoor gym

Schooler

Cooperative
-          Games and Sports
-           Board games, books and TV



PLAY medium form expression, communication and growth in children



Functions of Play

1.      Educational
2.      Recreational
3.      Physical Dev’t
4.      Social and Emotional Adjustment
5.      Therapeutic


 Growth and Development Throughout Lifespan


Infancy (0-1)

Nutrition
            - Vit. C, D and Iron is not found in milk
            - Solid food introduce at 4 to 6 months
Psychosocial Dev’t
            - mother should not expect too much from infant
Health Maintainace


Toddler (1-3)

-          Autonomy / Independence
-          Recognize that they are separate individual
                        > negativistic
                        > Difficult to manage
Socialization
            - imitates what she/ he sees    
            - differentiate boy from girl
Toilet Training
            - stays dry for 2 hours with regular bowel mov’t
            - Can sit, walk and squat
            - Can verbalize the desire to void or defecate
Negativism
            - undergo extreme negativism, hates to do anything
            - reply to every request is definite NO!

Temper tantrums


Pre-school (4-5)

Oedipus and Electral Complexes
-          aware of sexuality, sexual roles and organs
Phallic Stage
            - Aware of body’s anatomy and sexual identity (Male and Female)
            - Sexual identity is important to preschool in play (Boys-toy guns / Girls-dolls)
            - Penis envy or castration fear
            - Deal with masturbation in non-judgmental manner
Oedipus and Electral Complexes
-          aware of sexuality, sexual roles and organs
Phallic Stage
            - Aware of body’s anatomy and sexual identity (Male and Female)
            - Sexual identity is important to preschool in play (Boys-toy guns / Girls-dolls)
            - Penis envy or castration fear
            - Deal with masturbation in non-judgmental manner


School Age (6-12)


Strives for Achievements of:

            1. Gross motor competency (Sports)
            2. Fine motor dexterity (crafts/arts)
            3. Cognitive proficiency (reading, math)
            4. Social mastery (friends, peer groups)

Psychosocial Development

-          master skills that will help them fxn in the adult world
-          Stealing is a common school-age problem

Ways to assist a school-age child develop psychosocially

  1. Recognizing success and providing praise for achievements.
  2. Guiding children to perform task in w/c they are likely to succeed.
  3. Guiding the child to complete task
  4. Teaching the child to get along with peers
  5. Teaching the child to get along with adut

Play
            - collecting age begins (Cards, posters, marbles etc.)
Cognitive Dev’t
            - develop logical reasoning, cause and effect
Moral and Spiritual Dev’t
            - God is good and always present to help
            - Hygiene and Nutrition

Adolescent (12-18)

-          Period during w/c the person becomes physically and psychologically mature and acquires personal identity.

Puberty – first stage of adolescent in w/c sexual organ begins to grow and mature.
                                    girls – 10 to 14
                                    boys – 12 to 16
Menarche – occurs in girls
Ejaculation - occurs in boys

Physical Dev’t

            - adolescent growth Spurt
            - Glandular changes – sweat, acne

Cognitive Dev’t

            - ability to use scientific thought – plan their future

Psychosocial Dev’t

-          task is to establish identity and self-concept
-          Adolescent are sexually active and may engage in masturbation or heterosexual activity.
      - Dating helps prepare them for marriage by teaching them how to act with members of    opposite sex.

Promoting Healthy Family Functioning

-          It is not easy to be with teenagers, it is equally difficult to be teenagers
-          Teenagers need good adult role models so that they can see that adult roles are not frightening but desirable.

Sex Education

Common Health Problems
            - Obesity
            - Acne
            - Adolescent Pregnancy
            - STD
            - Drug / Alcoholism
            - Suicide
            - Motor Vehicular Accident

2 comments :

anneke sergio said...

Dr. Imoloa has really made me so much believe in him by getting me cured with his herbal treatment. i really appreciate you Dr.imoloa for bringing back happiness to my life again. thank you so much,friends join me to thank him for what he has actually done for me i pray to you all for a good life and good health, and most especially to you Dr. imoloa Thanks

I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctors, few months ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the cure of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by this Man Dr imoloa and she drop the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr. imoloa telling him about my (HERPES Virus) well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me. I am now here to testify that i am no longer a herpes patient, I have experience a total transformation in my life,for all herpes patients get your herbal medicine to cure your sickness. And there has being rapid improvement in my health, I no longer feel pains and I wake up each morning feeling revived. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all,you can contact him on drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com, you can still reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098
CANCER
EPILEPSY.
GENPILENCIN.
HIV AIDS.
DIABETICS
STROKE.
BREAST ENLARGEMENT...PENIS ENLARGEMENT, H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE HUMAN PAPAILOMA VIRUS HERPES. SYPHILIS. HEPATITIS A B and C.

anneke sergio said...

My name is john Rooney am from U.S.A. I want to share a testimony of how Dr.Imoloa herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and i was also having weak erection problem. I can't make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 4 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i cant even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr.imoloa herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than two weeks of taking the herbs my penis grow to 8 inches i couldn't believe my eyes and as i speak now my penis is now 8 inches and i do not have week erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoy me very well in bed. u can contact him drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com . call or whats-apps him through +2347081986098 . he is also specialize on.... GETTING YOUR VIRGINITY BACK.

Thanks for the Enlarging my penis sir, you indeed save my marriage...I am really grateful sir.

Get Website Traffic